Even though I’m not vegan (and probably never will be), I love baking vegan, especially when it comes to desserts. The reasons are as follows:
- I prefer to use organic eggs and dairy ingredients and they’re both expensive! Organic eggs are almost $4 per dozen and organic butter is almost $5 for the pound. I don’t use butter (since I prefer to be dairy-free myself) and my family doesn’t buy organic butter. So, I’d have to buy the organic butter JUST for baking a recipe. And with organic eggs, I’d prefer to eat them than bake with them.
- I prefer to be dairy-free and maintain a mostly dairy-free diet. I will enjoy the dairy containing foods from time to time (and more since moving back in with my parents and not having my own kitchen) but dairy doesn’t agree with me very much.
- I don’t like the taste of cow’s milk and never had it on hand when I was living on my own. Now that I live with my parents, though, I do have cow’s milk on hand.
- I have lots of coconut oil that I need to use. And it tastes delicious, so why not?
- It’s fun to experiment and show people that yes, vegan CAN taste good…as my friend Ayesha finally and reluctantly accepted. 😀
- It’s safe to eat raw, which means you can lick the batter off the bowl (one of my favorite parts of baking) or eat the dough…not that eggs in batter or dough have stopped me before. 😉